Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bug Out Kits/Bags.
Guest_Happyfeet_*
post Sep 19 2008, 12:08 AM
Post #41

Guests

It's useless for me right now as I live in an area where there is nowhere to run but this is probibly the best list I have seen in a long time. Quite a complete list and a good one at that.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nunnally04
post Sep 28 2008, 05:16 PM
Post #42

Master Survivalist

Group: Members
Member No.: 81

Well to be honest, I don't have one...but I would like to buy one premade, to save much time, and etc. Could someone help me by posting link(s) for some nice ones, as I don't know a lot about the necessary equipment.Thanks, Hayden.

--------------------
Respectfully, Hayden Nunnally.

Just to let everyone know, I'm only 15, but i would like to be treated the age I act, and in return I will try my hardest to respect you and all others.

+Quote Post
nunnally04
post Oct 9 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #43

Master Survivalist

QUOTE (nunnally04 @ Sep 28 2008, 07:16 PM) *
Well to be honest, I don't have one...but I would like to buy one premade, to save much time, and etc. Could someone help me by posting link(s) for some nice ones, as I don't know a lot about the necessary equipment.Thanks, Hayden.

Anyone, not only do I not have the nessasery cash to make the kit, but I don't have experience with large kits, I'm used to going with little resources.

--------------------

Just to let everyone know, I'm only 15, but i would like to be treated the age I act, and in return I will try my hardest to respect you and all others.

+Quote Post
Guest_Sugao_*
post Oct 13 2008, 03:47 PM
Post #44

Guests

Your BOB lists actually have been a lot of help for me, and I'll be posting a list of my own supplies as soon as our internet connection is stable. I'd love to have feedback and further suggestions when I can get that up.

+Quote Post
Maverick
post Oct 15 2008, 10:31 PM
Post #45

Survivalist

Member No.: 67

i got my regular survival kit in a ruck sack but i know i need to work up my income also i am 14 so its kinda hard tongue.gif anyways it consists of

-flint/ magnezium
-cotton balls
-lighter
-signal mirror
-compas
-cooking gear
-iodine
-3 liters of water
-maps of my county
-Knife

and some other things but those are all i could name off the top of my head
ill post a picture soon

+Quote Post
nostrings6972
post Oct 16 2008, 07:53 AM
Post #46

Survivalist

Member No.: 269

QUOTE (nunnally04 @ Oct 9 2008, 03:16 PM) *

Anyone, not only do I not have the nessasery cash to make the kit, but I don't have experience with large kits, I'm used to going with little resources.

I found a couple of the ready made BOB's one is a big un and the other is something like you'd toss in the trunk of your car.

Big BOB
Little BOB

+Quote Post
Guest_Sugao_*
post Oct 17 2008, 03:19 AM
Post #47

Guests

rain poncho x5
storm shelters x2
Trek 1 first aid kit
glowsticks x3
fire color sticks x2
fire paste
chow utencils x3
burn cream
poison ivy relief x2
tick remover
knife
head net,
toilet seat covers
string
heavy nylon rope (100 feet)
compas/ruler
water purification tablets x 2
salt/pepper case
duct tape
notebook
compressed pillow
headlight
crank light
waterproof case x2
small axe
solid fuel logs x3
solid fuel sticks
emergency blanket x2
matches
money
smoke bombs
lighters
flint set
collapsable towels
medical tape.

Thats my list so far. I'd love feedback, perhaps on items I may have forgotten and such.

This post has been edited by Sugao: Oct 17 2008, 09:41 AM

+Quote Post
Sergeant Russell
post Oct 17 2008, 03:30 AM
Post #48

Elite Survivalist

Member No.: 162

QUOTE (nunnally04 @ Oct 9 2008, 04:16 PM) *

Well (since no one answered this directly before), you can find large portions of a bug out kit that all come together at www.cheaperthandirt.com there are quite a bit of things that you could sqeeze into your future bugout kit to make it worth the money, sadly, some of it may be a little bit expensive for you now. But I hope it helps a little, just model yours after everyone elses and then make your own personal preferances on name brands, quantities, ect...

--------------------

+Quote Post
nostrings6972
post Oct 17 2008, 08:51 AM
Post #49

Survivalist

www.cheaperthAndirt.com sorry Sarge just a lil typo there. mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Sergeant Russell
post Oct 17 2008, 02:11 PM
Post #50

Elite Survivalist

Member No.: 162

QUOTE (nostrings6972 @ Oct 17 2008, 10:51 AM) *
www.cheaperthAndirt.com sorry Sarge just a lil typo there. mellow.gif

Wow, thanks, that is usually my job lol. I was up late and tired waiting for Admin to finish his announcement. Thanks nostrings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thorshammer
post Oct 17 2008, 07:28 PM
Post #51

Advance Survivalist

Group: user_has_broken_email
Member No.: 218

Honestly it is better to make your own kit(s). This way it will contain exactly what you need and not a bunch of extra stuff that you don't. Also, most pre-made kits tend to use lesser quality items and/or the price tends to be more than the contents are actually worth. A cheap bag from Wal-mart and a few things found in the home improvement and camping sections can be assembled for very little money. Also yard sales and thrift shops are good places to find good quality items on occasion.

Before you run out and start buying stuff.... ask yourself,
"Where am I going? What will I do once I get there? How long do I need this kit to sustain me? What type of environment will I be in?"
Once you figure all that out, then you can start looking what to purchase. In the end though, it is all just stuff. Stuff can be broken, lost, stolen or it may not be readily available( as in you are away from home where your kit is stored) when you find yourself in a situation where you actually need it. The things that can not be taken away is knowledge and experience. A good kit without the knowledge and experience in using them will do you less justice compared to having a good bit of knowledge and experience and no kit at all. Learn the skills you need and use them often.

+Quote Post
nostrings6972
post Oct 18 2008, 04:25 AM
Post #52

Survivalist

QUOTE (thorshammer @ Oct 17 2008, 09:28 PM) *

Honestly it is better to make your own kit(s). This way it will contain exactly what you need and not a bunch of extra stuff that you don't. Also, most pre-made kits tend to use lesser quality items and/or the price tends to be more than the contents are actually worth. A cheap bag from Wal-mart and a few things found in the home improvement and camping sections can be assembled for very little money. Also yard sales and thrift shops are good places to find good quality items on occasion.

Before you run out and start buying stuff.... ask yourself,
"Where am I going? What will I do once I get there? How long do I need this kit to sustain me? What type of environment will I be in?"
Once you figure all that out, then you can start looking what to purchase. In the end though, it is all just stuff. Stuff can be broken, lost, stolen or it may not be readily available( as in you are away from home where your kit is stored) when you find yourself in a situation where you actually need it. The things that can not be taken away is knowledge and experience. A good kit without the knowledge and experience in using them will do you less justice compared to having a good bit of knowledge and experience and no kit at all. Learn the skills you need and use them often.

Good point on the knowledge and experience, Thor. I'm in the process of making my big BOB and keeping it at home and toss a small one in my truck to last a few days and get me home to my real cache if need be.

+Quote Post
nunnally04
post Nov 16 2008, 09:27 PM
Post #53

Master Survivalist

My BOB is almost finished, and I need a good bit more stuff. The things I need still are:

1. A new bag, the one I have now is real big, but not big enough, too many small pockets. It also isn't very comfortable, which I learned on my long hike/camp.
2.more BDUs, I have 2 pair now total, and one blouse, and one field jacket.
3.undershirts, socks, underwear, etc
4.hand saw (the rope like kind), or a hatchet (need help deciding)
5.folding shovel (maybe not, working on making a new handle for a small one I have now (non folding).
6.lighter/fire starters (tinder, flints, etc)
7.misquto/bug- nets/block/etc
8.60-85lb test line (I have 15 and 20 now)(about 600 yards total)
9.survival books/guides
10.navigation equipment (compass, maps, ruler, etc)
11.a couple more personal hygiene equipment (shaving, shampoo, etc)
12.water/filtering/purifing stuff
13.food- MREs, Mountain House, etc (where can I get actual MREs not the knock-offs)(whats best)(how many)
14.bottled water/canteens
15.rain equipment
16. 550 cord, etc
17.more sleeping equipment (bag/cover/etc)
18.cooking equipment

As you can see, I don't have a very complete kit now, all of the stuff I have now, I already had, so I haven't bought anything. I would like to stay as cheap as possible, and still get good equipment, I have the money.

This post has been edited by nunnally04: Nov 16 2008, 09:28 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tasco
post Nov 17 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #54

Elite Survivalist

Group: Potential Moderator
Member No.: 23

QUOTE (nunnally04 @ Nov 16 2008, 08:27 PM) *
My BOB is almost finished, and I need a good bit more stuff. The things I need still are:

1. A new bag, the one I have now is real big, but not big enough, too many small pockets. It also isn't very comfortable, which I learned on my long hike/camp.
5.folding shovel (maybe not, working on making a new handle for a small one I have now (non folding).
9.survival books/guides
13.food- MREs, Mountain House, etc (where can I get actual MREs not the knock-offs)(whats best)(how many)
15.rain equipment
16. 550 cord, etc
18.cooking equipment

As you can see, I don't have a very complete kit now, all of the stuff I have now, I already had, so I haven't bought anything. I would like to stay as cheap as possible, and still get good equipment, I have the money.

Here are some of my suggestions -
1. Welcome to my world. I am loosing my mind trying to decide which pack to get...right now, I'm leaning toward the CAMELBAK BFM - one of the cheapest places I have found it.
2. One more set would be fine.
13. The knock-offs would work just as fine. If I was you, I would strip them down, there in no need to carry extra weight when you know you will just eat the main meal. Depending on your tasted buds, you may want to buy some to eat first but since I am a MRE expert, I would suggest you get some Beef Stew, Pot Roast and Beef Ravioli. There are a few more to get, but try to get ones that you know you will eat. Also Kosher meals are descent tasting, you just have to add salt to those.
18. Keep the heaters that's found in the MREs. They just need a little water and they will cook the main meal pouch. If cooking open flame, ECOFUELXB is a great little can.

I did notice you didn't have a flashlight in your list, I suggest the GI issue flashlight, the one with the 90 degree head. It come with a red, blue, and solid white filter lens.

This post has been edited by Tasco: Nov 17 2008, 01:48 PM
Reason for edit: links added for correct info,

--------------------
Coming back with vengeance!!

+Quote Post
nunnally04
post Nov 17 2008, 03:29 PM
Post #55

Master Survivalist

QUOTE (Tasco @ Nov 17 2008, 12:19 PM) *
QUOTE (nunnally04 @ Nov 16 2008, 08:27 PM) *

9.survival books/guides
15.rain equipment
16. 550 cord, etc
18.cooking equipment

Here are some of my suggestions -
1. Welcome to my world. I am loosing my mind trying to decide which pack to get...right now, I'm leaning toward the CAMELBAK BFM - one of the cheapest places I have found it.
2. One more set would be fine.
13. The knock-offs would work just as fine. If I was you, I would strip them down, there in no need to carry extra weight when you know you will just eat the main meal. Depending on your tasted buds, you may want to buy some to eat first but since I am a MRE expert, I would suggest you get some Beef Stew, Pot Roast and Beef Ravioli. There are a few more to get, but try to get ones that you know you will eat. Also Kosher meals are descent tasting, you just have to add salt to those.
18. Keep the heaters that's found in the MREs. They just need a little water and they will cook the main meal pouch. If cooking open flame, ECOFUELXB is a great little can.

I did notice you didn't have a flashlight in your list, I suggest the GI issue flashlight, the one with the 90 degree head. It come with a red, blue, and solid white filter lens.

1.That's a little out of the money I want to spend. I already have a camelback, so I don't need the built in one.
2.Thanks.
13.Good to know, but I can always use a little snack when the SHTF, and I would like to get the biggest bag possible. And BTW I used to have a few cases of them, of all different meals, and I know which ones I want, thanks though.
18.Well if its more than about 10 days (give or take), so I will be catching/killing game for food (plus I'll get tired of MREs), so I was thinking some of those stoves that all you do is open it and drop a lit match in, and its ready to go (Sterno).

As far as a flashlight, I carry a mini mag lite (2 AA) with a nite-eyes $18 LED and IQ switch conversion kit with me everywhere. Works great, but I'll try to give that one a try as a large BOB light.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tasco
post Nov 17 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #56

Elite Survivalist

Group: Potential Moderator
Member No.: 23

Sorry about posting a fairly expensive pack. I always like the BFM and like to share with others. If your looking for a cheap pack - Voodoo Tactical Packs. There all under $100 bucks.

For your stove suggestion, If you cook big game then yes the stove you mentioned will work just fine. I though you was looking for smaller game like rabbit, squirrel and maybe bird. Heck I would just start a fire and cook with it, but that's just me happy.gif .

--------------------
Coming back with vengeance!!

+Quote Post
nunnally04
post Nov 18 2008, 09:05 AM
Post #57

Master Survivalist

QUOTE (Tasco @ Nov 18 2008, 12:05 AM) *
Sorry about posting a fairly expensive pack. I always like the BFM and like to share with others. If your looking for a cheap pack - Voodoo Tactical Packs. There all under $100 bucks.

For your stove suggestion, If you cook big game then yes the stove you mentioned will work just fine. I though you was looking for smaller game like rabbit, squirrel and maybe bird. Heck I would just start a fire and cook with it, but that's just me happy.gif .

Well the pack is about the right price range, its just I can get a better/bigger one without the camelback cheaper.

As for making a fire...that makes smoke...which could be a problem when TSHTF. I could always cook something like a deer (or other large game) piece by piece.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Happyfeet_*
post Nov 18 2008, 10:40 PM
Post #58

Guests

This thread is kickass guys, I'm getting my gear together, I already got the camping gear, just not put together.

Backpacking rig with very little accually in place.

1. pack of 5 double poptarts in a side pouch.
1. pack of 10 granola bars.
2. cans of baked beans.
2. pairs of wool socks in a plastic baggie.
1. Thick poncho that can double as a tent.
1. Sleeping bag and inflatable mat, both can be used for medical as well.
1.can of start footpowder.
1. 4 cell maglite.
1. Airsoft mask.
1. Pair of binoculars

I know I have nothing really prepared yet, but Im not sure what all I want to take, I dont even know what rifle Id bug out with yet. Poptarts and granola bars are waterproof and can be eaten on the move, both are more durable than things like ramen, both can be soaking wet. Both cans will supplement a meal and can be ditched since we aren't dealing with a forest. I could stay contained currently for between 2-3 days

I don't want a mat and sleeping bag, I need it. Even tonight, going outside overnight with winds hitting 30+mph in town, and over 60mph on the flatland would be suicide. There is a need to be able to hunker down, during the winter it is also possible to build snow caves and block some of the wind, but a arctic bag and pad are a must.

Why footpowder? Feet get wet, they need to get dry, this starch can absorb a ton of water.

I know a few of you might, "OMG NO MATCHES OR NUTHIN!!1" The thing is, theres nothing to burn summer or winter. Very few trees means fuel for a fire may be next to impossible to find during the wet summers, and a joke during the winter. I know you might think I'm kidding but several feet ofsnow swept like a tundra on discovery channel and a constant wind means we are playing survival like discovery channel.

I have not included a compass, but I will include a regional map, the reason for this is because there is nothing but small farm towns and farmsteads around here. If I needed to get somewhere, I would have to either follow the roads, or cross fields to link up with roads.

The pack is hunter orange, however I would drop it and flee should there be an armed confrontation.

Fishing gear? Thanks to the farmers here anything in the river is toxic enough to put you down, theres no point in fishing for sport when you want to survive.

Why an airsoft mask? The mask has had the mouthguard completely stuffed with loose stuffing, the reason is to block the wind before it hits my face,

More gear will be to come.

I really think its awesome that everyone else came to the same conclusion about preparing for their situation as opposed to a generic todo list.

+Quote Post
nunnally04
post Nov 19 2008, 03:19 PM
Post #59

Master Survivalist

QUOTE (Happyfeet @ Nov 19 2008, 12:40 AM) *
This thread is kickass guys, I'm getting my gear together, I already got the camping gear, just not put together.

Backpacking rig with very little accually in place.

1. pack of 5 double poptarts in a side pouch.
1. pack of 10 granola bars.
2. cans of baked beans.
2. pairs of wool socks in a plastic baggie.
1. Thick poncho that can double as a tent.
1. Sleeping bag and inflatable mat, both can be used for medical as well.
1.can of start footpowder.
1. 4 cell maglite.
1. Airsoft mask.
1. Pair of binoculars

I know I have nothing really prepared yet, but Im not sure what all I want to take, I dont even know what rifle Id bug out with yet. Poptarts and granola bars are waterproof and can be eaten on the move, both are more durable than things like ramen, both can be soaking wet. Both cans will supplement a meal and can be ditched since we aren't dealing with a forest. I could stay contained currently for between 2-3 days

I don't want a mat and sleeping bag, I need it. Even tonight, going outside overnight with winds hitting 30+mph in town, and over 60mph on the flatland would be suicide. There is a need to be able to hunker down, during the winter it is also possible to build snow caves and block some of the wind, but a arctic bag and pad are a must.

Why footpowder? Feet get wet, they need to get dry, this starch can absorb a ton of water.

I know a few of you might, "OMG NO MATCHES OR NUTHIN!!1" The thing is, theres nothing to burn summer or winter. Very few trees means fuel for a fire may be next to impossible to find during the wet summers, and a joke during the winter. I know you might think I'm kidding but several feet ofsnow swept like a tundra on discovery channel and a constant wind means we are playing survival like discovery channel.

I have not included a compass, but I will include a regional map, the reason for this is because there is nothing but small farm towns and farmsteads around here. If I needed to get somewhere, I would have to either follow the roads, or cross fields to link up with roads.

The pack is hunter orange, however I would drop it and flee should there be an armed confrontation.

Fishing gear? Thanks to the farmers here anything in the river is toxic enough to put you down, theres no point in fishing for sport when you want to survive.

Why an airsoft mask? The mask has had the mouthguard completely stuffed with loose stuffing, the reason is to block the wind before it hits my face,

More gear will be to come.

I really think its awesome that everyone else came to the same conclusion about preparing for their situation as opposed to a generic todo list.

As far as the fire, if you have the room in your pack, pack a couple (or one) fire starter sticks. Once you get it started (burning good) wet wood will work, it will just smoke a lot (I have done it FYI).

--------------------

+Quote Post
thorshammer
post Nov 19 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #60

Advance Survivalist

Group: user_has_broken_email
Member No.: 218

My suggestions for inexpensive yet good gear.

QUOTE (nunnally04 @ Nov 16 2008, 10:27 PM) *

Mil-surplus Medium ALICE pack w/frame

Two total pair are plenty to start with.

Don't skimp on socks, get quality wool or poly blend hiking socks.

Skip the wire/rope saws as the kink/bind and break fairly easily. Check this out instead:
http://www.pocketchainsaw.com/ cheapest I found them http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/products_...KU=CCSPR-PS-103

As for hatchets I really like the Gerber hatchets made by Fiskars. They are extremely tough, sharp and hold their edge better than any hatchet I've used yet. Instead of buying the Gerber name you get the Fiskars label for roughly $10 less at most Home Depots or Lowes. http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...p;page=products

If you are not planning on digging foxholes and such, there isn't much that can not be accomplished using a $2 high density plastic garden trowel from Wal-mart, Lowes or Home depot. Honestly depends on what you plan on digging. You could also buy a Cold Steel Soviet Spetsnaz style shovel( does not fold) which could double as you hatchet as well.

Cheap BIC lighter, magnesium and flint bar, film canister- round altoids tin- plastic chewing tobacco can filled with either 100% cotton balls or dryer lint that has been smeared in petroleum jelly/vaseline. The petro-cotton balls are excellent little fire starters and can also come in handy for certain first aid uses such as chapped lips, dry chapped hands, minor cuts, etc.

look for 100% deet in the sporting goods section of Walmart. Mosquito head nets come in pretty handy too.

What are you planning on using this for?

9.survival books/guides

In my personal opinion the absolute best survival handbook for a BOB of survival bag of any type is The SAS Survival Handbook by John "Lofty" Wiseman from Collins Gem which measures 3"x4"x1" can be found here:
http://www.amazon.com/Collins-Gem-Sas-Surv...748&sr=11-1
Another worth while thing to have in your BOB(IMO) is this if you find them: http://www.iamfritz.com/utstest/civvie_cards_est.html

Brunton and Silva both make good compasses. Brunton has a good compass and video package that I think is great. http://beprepared.com/product.asp?pn=EV%20...hcd2=1227152658

Skip shaving don't want to increase risk of cuts and infection. Skip shampoo and go with bar soap as the shampoo bottle has the potential to leak and get on the other contents of your pack. Baby wipes come in handy at times.

Given the limited budget this would be one of my first choices of water filterhttp://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_WS%20B250_A_name_E_[[ProductNameURL]] Potable Aqua iodine tabs can be found in the sporting goods section of Walmart. You can use a clean bandanna or section panty hose to filter out large particulates.

another option to maximize space and weight to calorie and vitamin intake http://www.survivalunlimited.com/mainstay.htm

A couple USGI 1qt canteens in cold weather covers would be a good start.

15.rain equipment

a couple GI ponchos w/ liners(doubles as shelter and sleeping bag replacement) or 55 gal contractor trash bags

16. 550 cord, etc
18.cooking equipment

Canteen cup and stove stowed with one of the canteens in canteen cover. A dozen trioxane fuel tabs.

Again these are just my suggestions for cheap and functional options.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th April 2014 - 10:09 PM