Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 'sup & stuff, Greetings from Southeast PA
Comrade Hans
post Jan 1 2012, 11:20 PM
Post #1

Beginner Survivalist

Group: Members
Member No.: 564

What's up dudes? I hail from the suburbs of beautiful *cough* Philadelphia. Looking forwards to actually making something of this site this time around. Used to be a Boy Scout back in the day, got my Wilderness Survival merit badge, so I obviously know everything there is about this kinda stuff...make sure to catch the sarcasm as it runs down your screen, otherwise you'll have to wipe it up off of your keyboard. But really though, I'm very much into Emergency Preparedness (another merit badge I happen to have, but I've found it pretty much sums up everything involved without making the neighbors and co-workers worry too much) and it's nice that there's been some attempt to organize something along those lines. If there are any other members who reside in the SE PA area, feel free to drop me a line; I'll throw something up in the NE USA section later as well. I guess that's enough for now. If it's not, feel free to ask deep revealing, personal questions (or regular ones, those are fine too), I don't bite...usually.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeathMerchant
post Jan 2 2012, 06:20 AM
Post #2

Master Survivalist

Group: Potential Moderator
Member No.: 21

Hello Comrade,

How long were you in the Boy Scouts for? So what kind of survival skills do they teach you there? Is it all wilderness, like dealing with woodland and mountains, or do the focus on more areas then that?

This post has been edited by DeathMerchant: Jan 2 2012, 06:22 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Comrade Hans
post Jan 2 2012, 02:04 PM
Post #3

Beginner Survivalist

QUOTE (DeathMerchant @ Jan 2 2012, 07:20 AM) *
Hello Comrade,

How long were you in the Boy Scouts for? So what kind of survival skills do they teach you there? Is it all wilderness, like dealing with woodland and mountains, or do the focus on more areas then that?

If I disremember correctly, I joined in 5th grade when I was 11, or somewhere thereabouts, and I was in until I was 18. Most of the survival skills focus on outdoors/woodlands/mountains. If you take the right badges you learn a little bit of everything; Orienteering covers land navigation with a map and compass (although now I hear they're using GPS), Cooking is self-explanatory, but there's some common-sense stuff that most people have to learn if they've never cooked outdoors over a fire. Wilderness Survival is kinda just what it sounds like (they're pretty good with picking names), you learn how you would survive out in the woods by yourself/in a small group apart from civilization. What to bring/not bring with you, understanding that you have to carry it all on your back, what plants are/are not edible, how to set different kinds of traps and snares for game, different fishing methods, how to build different kinds of shelters, how to properly set up a latrine. I only bold that because it's something most people tend to overlook, probably because we're all used to having a toilet in the room right next to the kitchen, but that doesn't quite work out when there's no plumbing ie: you're using a hole in the ground. To get the badge you actually have to spend a night outdoors with minimal supplies, basically a sleeping bag and a small tarp (if you had one). Emergency Preparedness is a lot like First Aid (both are different badges), but it goes more in-depth with caring for different types of wounds, as well as rescuing somebody from an emergency situation (trapped in car, fell in river, etc).

+Quote Post
DeathMerchant
post Jan 2 2012, 09:37 PM
Post #4

Master Survivalist

Emergency Preparedness sounds quite interesting. I don't suppose you have any texts or material you would mind posting regarding it? Or do you know of any good websites?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Comrade Hans
post Jan 2 2012, 10:09 PM
Post #5

Beginner Survivalist

I'm pretty sure I could dig up the merit badge books and maybe scan them in. Although, I'm pretty sure they post them all on the BSA website now; I'll check and see if I can't find them that way.

EDIT: So I found the merit badge books online, but I'm now reminded that they only outline the requirements, not the specific manner in how you fulfill them. If you want I can post those instead, they'd still make for at least a decent mental exercise. If people didn't mind doing a little homework, it'd make for a fairly simple "Assignment"-type ...assignment (couldn't think of another word for it, sorry).

This post has been edited by Comrade Hans: Jan 2 2012, 10:23 PM

+Quote Post
DeathMerchant
post Jan 3 2012, 06:32 AM
Post #6

Master Survivalist

QUOTE (Comrade Hans @ Jan 2 2012, 11:09 PM) *
I'm pretty sure I could dig up the merit badge books and maybe scan them in. Although, I'm pretty sure they post them all on the BSA website now; I'll check and see if I can't find them that way.

EDIT: So I found the merit badge books online, but I'm now reminded that they only outline the requirements, not the specific manner in how you fulfill them. If you want I can post those instead, they'd still make for at least a decent mental exercise. If people didn't mind doing a little homework, it'd make for a fairly simple "Assignment"-type ...assignment (couldn't think of another word for it, sorry).

That would be kinda cool. Show us the images and a small amount of text about it, and then let us look up the full definitions.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 07:26 AM