Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Iran's Nuclear Devolopment
DeathMerchant
post Apr 4 2012, 08:27 AM
Post #1

Master Survivalist

Group: Potential Moderator
Member No.: 21

Many of you are already aware of the constantly growing concern over Iran acquiring nuclear material. Iran insists its nuclear research and development is for peaceful purposes only. While the majority of other nations see that statement as a blatant lie, that Iran's main goal is to build a nuclear weapon. Given Iran's often aggressive/violent rhetoric towards both Israel and any nation who stands in their way of them acquiring nuclear material.

So the question I pose to you is how do you feel about the situation? Do you think as a sovereign nation, Iran has the right to conduct whatever development they please? Including pursuing nuclear technology? Or do you think a nation forfeits their right to attain nuclear technology(without UN supervision) once they begin making threats towards other countries?

Don't let my opinion sway your answer, but this is what I have to say.

Every sovereign nation has their own rights and privileges. They may do as they please, as long as they are not oppressing (severe oppression that is, like causing food shortages and not offering some form of assistance) and causing injury to their own people, or neighboring countries. Once a nation takes the path of making statements of war against another nation (as Iran has done multiple times to other countries, including stating to "wipe Israel off the map"), then measures need to be taken to keep watch over the aggressive country. And in the event military action would be justifiable to keep neighboring nations safe, then I do believe such action could be taken. What would be a justifiable circumstance you ask? Iran ignores all offers to halt nuclear research or continues denying inspectors. Or Iran continues making constant threats of war and appears posed for a military attack. It would require an immense level of coordination between allied nations to launch a successful attack on Iran, or at least to permanently end their nuclear research, but it could be done with the right strategic planning and participation.

Long story short, Iran should not be given the chance to acquire nuclear material. The risk is much too great to simply allow Iran to potentially develop a nuclear bomb or missile. They already possess a high level of rocket + missile technology. So as of now, Iran has a way to deliver the warhead. All Iran has to do is find a way to shape the size of the payload to fit inside the missile's warhead.

This may be a bit of a stretch of an analogy, but please try to follow. Say you are a parent (The U.N.) and your child/teenage son or daughter constantly misbehaves in school (Iran) and makes repeated threats toward another kid (Israel). Your child, after showing many signs of harassment and stating they want the other child they hate so much dead. States one day they want to buy a pocket knife. They claim to only want it just to have it. Wouldn't you be a little concerned about letting them have one? The parent (U.N.) should sit down with their kid and explain why they're concerned and they could only have one if they follow conditions or are around supervision (Weapon Inspectors). If the kid says no to everything and says I'm buying one anyway, then action needs to be taken to stop it from happening. Again, this analogy may not be the best but it does illustrate the point of denying irresponsible people the ability to severely hurt others.

What are your thoughts on the ongoing crisis in the Middle East?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rivet
post May 24 2012, 05:00 PM
Post #2

Survivalist

Group: Members
Member No.: 568

QUOTE (DeathMerchant @ Apr 4 2012, 09:27 AM) *
What are your thoughts on the ongoing crisis in the Middle East?

Odds are Israel will eventually act. There will be loss of life. Oil prices will likely go nuts, at least for a short while.

Getting more troubling over there in the ME. unsure.gif

This post has been edited by Rivet: May 24 2012, 05:18 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeathMerchant
post May 26 2012, 06:33 AM
Post #3

Master Survivalist

I think Israel will do something if Iran doesn't back down. They've given diplomacy a chance for the past half decade with no results. So it wouldn't surprise me if they do eventually launch some sort of strike. The tough part though would be making sure Iran's nuclear capability is crippled in one or two short strikes. Otherwise Israel could get drawn into a full blown war.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rivet
post May 28 2012, 12:06 PM
Post #4

Survivalist

I saw an interesting news story over the weekend: Panetta: U.S. is Ready to Stop Iran from Creating Nuclear Weapons

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeathMerchant
post May 29 2012, 07:06 AM
Post #5

Master Survivalist

I read that recently. Good to know our military is ready in the event they must act. I do hope diplomacy will eventually prevail, but realistically that route seems unlikely.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rivet
post May 29 2012, 10:56 AM
Post #6

Survivalist

QUOTE (DeathMerchant @ May 29 2012, 08:06 AM) *
I do hope diplomacy will eventually prevail

+1 big time. It going south in Iran would be very bad for all involved.

--------------------

+Quote Post
shlunka
post Jun 12 2012, 10:30 AM
Post #7

Survivalist

Member No.: 571

Let's not forget about North Korea also. However, back on topic, I think it's not only necessary to control Iran's acquirement of nuclear weapons, but it's common sense to do so. Why would Iran need to progress it's nuclear program for economic reasons if they already have large amounts of oil? It's clear that there is a development of some sort of nuclear missiles, and Israel is likely to be the first to act, followed by likely several UN forces. I also read an article about possibly U.S involvement in the shutting down of computers in an Iran nuclear facility. Great analogy btw.

+Quote Post
DeathMerchant
post Jun 12 2012, 05:37 PM
Post #8

Master Survivalist

QUOTE (shlunka @ Jun 12 2012, 11:30 AM) *
Why would Iran need to progress it's nuclear program for economic reasons if they already have large amounts of oil?

Your spot on! Iran has no use for nuclear energy, as their country doesn't consume nearly that much electrical power to make the development worthwhile. We already have numerous and continuing amounting evidence that Iran has every intention to turn this around into a weapon.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2014 - 11:45 PM